Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I took my car to a repair shop to have a hatch replaced, I…

Customer Question
Second opinion] I took...

Second opinion] I took my car to a repair shop to have a hatch replaced, I was told that I would have to paya partial payment ,but I paid the full amount in advance on tuesday of last week then dropped my car off saturday morning, I was told it was a one day fix. today is thursday and nothing has been done to my car so I picked it up and asked for my money back, they told me they ordered the part and it would be in tuesday of next week so they couldn't give me my money back. What are my legal options?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

This is Texas and the car is 2010 dodge caliber.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No for what purpose?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I paid $400 to replace the hatch and services were not rendered in the time they said , iwant my money back

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/29/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I would claim that they breached your contract with them to timely repair.The Courts typically look toward the Uniform Commercial Code as their guide, since many states have adopted this code into their own statutes.

In this case UCC Section 2-309(1), the law says that each party has a reasonable time to perform if it is not expressly stated in the contract. What is considered “reasonable” is a matter of fact and depends on the circumstances, but it is an argument that you would have to make that it is unreasonable. Regardless, there is a legal basis for your particular claim because they didn’t repair it within a reasonable estimate of time they quoted you.I hope you will continue to seek a refund or other compensation for the breach of contract here.

You can sue them in small claims if you have to and they will not resolve this otherwise.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.