Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased 2 weeks ago certified used vehicle that the

Customer Question
I purchased 2 weeks...

I purchased 2 weeks ago certified used vehicle that the dealer advised came with 6yr/100,000 warranty. Today, they sent me an email saying that they forgot to have me sign the buyers guide and the information contained therein states a Limited Warranty for 30 days/3,000 miles on the powertrain. This is not what was disclosed at the time of sale. What are my options here?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Florida 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I wrote the dealership back stating that this is not what was disclosed to me and that I was not going to sign.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

This seems like it is an issue of mistake which could be a defense to an agreement. A court can declare that there is a mistake made by both parties as to the assumption on which the contract was based. In your case, it is probable that the limited warranty wasn’t a basic assumption. A basic assumption would be something like the vehicle would have 4 tires or that the vehicle would generally run. Otherwise, there is nothing that would specifically require you to sign the agreement with the lesser warranty.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.