Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Took 2001 truck to Maaco for painting 0n 8/23/17 pick truck…

Customer Question
Took 2001 truck to...

Took 2001 truck to Maaco for painting 0n 8/23/17 pick truck up 9/11/17: 9/13/17 spending time with my granddaughter and grandson on her birthday stop at home to put oil in truck tried to close hood, would not close.
Called maaco to inform them that I was bringing it back but I was scared the hood would blow up so I traveled 25mph on resor rd came up the hill hood blew up with my grandkids pulled over I could not get it down. A man came out from his house to help close so that I could get out of the road .two of maaco employee came out tried to close it couldn’t close, one of them took a piece off and they tied it down
,I follow them to shop, spent about ten minutes told me it was fixed I said well let me see if I can open it I could not staff stated well you are going to have to jiggle it ….I told him I never had to do that staff stated that he did not have to open the hood to paint it the hood was like that when I brought it in and it was rusted and I will have to pay an additional $700.00 to fix the hood latch and the hinges that bent when it blew up...on the way home from maaco power window buttons fell down in the door riding down highway crying after spending $4,000 on a paint job. Feeling like I have been used put in danger emp

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?

Can you file mental anguish in small clain court in ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Yes and their headquarter

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thanks

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/27/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

So the course that you might want to take is filing a small claims court claim to recover the amount that you paid to Maaco as well as the amount of money that it is going to take to fix the car issues that you are now experiencing.

Recovering mental anguish damages can only occur in a very limited set of circumstances that probably would not be applicable in this situation. However, seeking damages for the money you paid and the damage done to your car is very reasonable, and it is more likely that you can recover monetary damages rather than emotion distress damages.

The maximum you can seek in small claims court is $6,000, so you are already bumping up against that limit simply based on the monetary damages at issue in this case.