Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My website has been destroyed! The reasons were not

Customer Question
My website has been...

My website has been destroyed! The reasons were not immediately known to me and I have spent too much money trying to get back online. I am out 10's of thousands of dollars! HELP!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No, ... no answers from those that screwed me and I do not know where to go! I am also in a DIRE financial state with very little income because of this. I do not even know what KIND of lawyer I need...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No now...

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/26/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: TJ, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help if I can, but I'm not sure that I even understand the question. What Legal Information are you seeking?

Thank you.

I did not know what my host meant when she told me earlier this year that I would have to change my website. I later found out that the TSL requirement from Authorize.net is going to require security updates. My site evidently could not be updates and my host dropped it in June. Since then I have been desperately searching for a solution. I now understand what happened and why. However, Authorize.net gives hosts until February of 2018 to comply. I was officially shut down (a but complicated why: the "new host" I first found use MY domain name to create the new website (that I hated) but that meant my previous host was removed from the hosting.NO WEBSITE...So I started my hunt. It paid out of pocket thousands of dollars only to fine VERY FEW hosts or platforms that would work for me. I finally found one that could (4 months later) and it is being worked on. But I want my money back from the hosts that just did not get it! I told every one I do I have almost everything needed saved. I want my money back! I also want damages since no one told me what was required or the cost until now. 4 months of next to no sales (at least $10,000/month) are killing me. The only GOOD news is that I have been online wince the inception of the internet and I have a loyal following for my products. So I do get phone sales (but that takes time away from making and shipping and is FAR less $ (fewer orders) and likely customers who went elsewhere when my site did not work. 37 years in business and this is perhaps my poorest year! I would hire a lawyer (if there are some that would be willing.) Most I have contacted did not. WHERE SHALL I GO? WHAT CAN I DO?

Hi again.

In order to win a reimbursement as well as damages for most profits, you'll need to sue and win a judgment, which means you will need an attorney (as you suggested). The best way to find an attorney is to contact your state bar association and ask for a referral.

You can contact the bar here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.floridabar.org/public/lrs/&ved=0ahUKEwi8msqJ2cPWAhVcOMAKHc7ADqQQFggnMAE&usg=AFQjCNEEzOF2e1N3NhkclQQHYwQftb7a1g

I'm not sure how else I can help you. Is that the legal information you are seeking?

You did not tell me anything I did not already know. FINDING the right lawyer is the problem, There are (as you must know) literally thousands of lawyers. I have made phone calls, etc. I cannot just search for "lawyer for website hosting;l problem" or anything like it as a topic I need to address.
Hi again. You should contact your State Bar, as I mentioned above. Whether you already knew that or not, I don't know how else to help you. I'm sorry.
The state bar is useless. One name at a time and I already called several who do NOT handle this kind of case. Plus it is VERY time consuming to have to call back the Barr Assoc.. every time...
Hello again. You could try a website such as martindale-hubbell: https://www.martindale.com/find-attorneys/While not a referral service, it has a database of thousands of attorneys in all areas of the law.
Well, I contacted several attorneys. I am being told that without a written contract they can do nothing. I find that hard to believe as there are certain elements of any transaction (with or without a contract) that are to normally be expected. It is also VERY tough to just to a search for attorneys that are willing to handle this kind of problem. I found no one who specifically deals with my kind of problem (or is even interested.)

Hello again.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about attorneys refusing to take your case. I cannot help with that. All I can do is suggest that you contact more attorneys. However, since I cannot seem to help you, I will opt out and allow another attorney to respond. I truly wish you the best.