Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wife received a call saying that she has won|$2,500,000…

Customer Question
My wife received a call...
My wife received a call saying that she has won|$2,500,000 from he Mega Millions Sweepstakes Company, and the Global International Company Ltd. They said she entered by either paying utility bills on time, purchasing any qualifying branded product affiliated with the Consortium of Manufacturers using a credit card, debot card ATM card or check book as a medium of payment.They will call again tomorrow and she must tell them whether or not she will accept the conditions required to accept the check which will be delivered to our door. She must pay $6,000 for a P14 Form Stamp before receiving the check. Is this a scam?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RayAnswers, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It is against the law to charge for prizes so it is a scam.Report this to FTC and they may prosecute them.Don't send them any money or give them information.

Report them here

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

You have to pay

Legitimate sweepstakes don’t make you pay a fee or buy something to enter or improve your chances of winning — that includes paying "taxes," "shipping and handling charges," or “processing fees” to get your prize. There’s also no reason to give someone your checking account number or credit card number in response to a sweepstakes promotion.

A skills contest where you do things like solve problems or answer questions correctly can ask you to pay. But these contests also tend to get more difficult and expensive as you advance, leaving contestants with nothing to show for their money and effort.

You have to wire money

You may be told to wire money to an agent of “Lloyd’s of London” or another well-known company — often in a foreign country — to “insure” delivery of the prize. Don’t do it. Wiring money is like sending cash: once it’s gone, you can’t trace it or get it back. The same goes for sending a check or money order by overnight delivery or courier, or putting money on a prepaid debit card.

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.