Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been 'jerked' around by a company in Illinois for 7…

Customer Question
I have been 'jerked'...

I have been 'jerked' around by a company in Illinois for 7 months now in trying to get a replacement for an electronic product that they have agreed is defective. What recourse do I have. I have the unit, SR #, Proof of Purchase , the 3 yr warranty, records of multiple phone calls, a claim # & yet no satisfaction.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in Pennsylvania and the Supplier is in Illinois.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Many, many times I spoke with their Cust Srvc dept.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Only that they agree that the unit should be replaced (written Claim recpt.)... It has been 7 months since I reported the defect.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/25/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 10 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry that this company has been jerking you around for so long.

Since you have extensive documentation of the purchase, warranty and defective nature of the product, your next step will be to send them a demand letter by certified mail stating:

• That they provide a replacement or refund your money;
  • A deadline within which to respond to the letter with confirmation that they will replace or refund (between 2 to 4 weeks to respond would be reasonable); and
  • If they do not respond that you will file suit for monetary damages to cover the cost of repairing and/or replacing the product.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.