Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I keep a vehicle in California where I work often. It was…

Hello, I keep a...

Hello, I keep a vehicle in California where I work often. It was towed with out my knowledge. When I asked the towing company why was I not informed the vehicle had been towed they said that they had sent out a certified letter to my address. When I looked up the tracking number it showed the letter was returned to sender. Additionally, because I was not able to claim my vehicle it was sold by the towing company.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

California. Its a 2003

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Why would I need to contact Toyota?

9/22/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Why was it towed? Where was it towed from?

Towed from my Friends apartment complex in Rancho Cucamonga. The complex said there was no guest pass...which there was. Although, the vehicle being towed isnt the issue at the moment. Its that I was never notified and the car was eventually sold.

Thank you for your reply.

The law said they had to send notice at the last known address of registered owner. If they prove they sent it and it was returned, which is what you said, they complied with their duty of sending notice whether or not you ever received it.

As far as towing, if the car did have a guest pass and was permitted to park at that location for the amount of time you left it there, you would need to sue the complex and the towing company for the improper towing and eventual sale of your vehicle.

The towing is the real issue, because if they did not have a legal right to tow, the eventual sale of the car is improper and they are liable to you for damages.

The notice issue would not be something you could sue about if they prove they sent the notice to the last known address and it was returned, as I said above, as they complied with sending notice and it is not their fault if it was returned.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

The towing company gave me the tracking number to the letter. When I contacted USPS and they looked it up it showed the letter never left the state of CA and I live in Florida. Does this make a difference?

Thank you for your reply.

That is not the fault of the towing company I am afraid. If the post office failed to deliver it, they are exempt by statutory immunity from suit.

I understand. Although the tracking form does not reflect my address. It just went from Moreno CA to West Sacramento CA. If I can prove that they did not send the letter to the right location that would change the situation, right?

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, if you can prove that they did not send it to the address that the vehicle was last registered at, yes it would make a difference.

The worse part about it is I had my entire VHS collection of Richard Simons work outs in the trunk.
Thanks for the info

Thank you for your reply.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer