Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

We hired FlatRate movers to move us from San to San Marcos.

We hired FlatRate movers to...
We hired FlatRate movers to move us from San Jose to San Marcos. They picked up half of our furnishings at the beginning of the month and today was the day they were to help us pack the remaining items so we could leave. When they arrived they said we don't pack anything when it was a major consideration we needed to pack our hobby tools so they wouldn't be damaged. We paid them over 9K to move us. They are telling us they want another 2.6K to help us with the tools and electronic that they said they needed to pack. Is there anything I can do to change what is happening?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: San Jose, California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No. Today was the last day we can be in the house. We need to be out by tonight.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm trying to make this work with the company, but they are standing firm on wanting more money.
9/21/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

This sounds like a contract dispute. Your contract either requires them to pack the tools and electronics without additional cost, or it does not. I assume that you reviewed the contract in detail, and you have determined that they must pack the tools and electronics without additional cost. If so, and if they refuse, then you have the option of (1) suing them for breach of contract, (2) packing the tools and electronics yourself, (3) paying the extra money, and then suing for breach of contract and a refund, or (4) paying the extra money and taking no further legal action. You'll have to weigh the choices and determine what is best for you. I will point out that if you opt to sue them right away, and suffer monetary harm as a result of this approach, rather than seeking to mitigate the harm by either packing yourself or paying the extra money and then suing later, then you may not be compensated for the additional harm. A judge may rule that you should have taken action aside from simply suing in order to mitigate your damages. So, that should be a factor when deciding whether (1) makes sense.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney