Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can you still receive a judgement if you have an email from…

Customer Question
Can you still receive...

Can you still receive a judgement if you have an email from the collection agency saying they're closing the account? We are scheduled for trial 9/27/2017 and I have an email from the collection agency last week saying they are closing the account, deleting from my credit report and determined to refrain from future collection calls or other collection communication.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

This is actually a credit card debt.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/21/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Ok

Thank you very much for your patience. Generally, if the collection agency says they’re closing an account, it doesn’t prohibit them from trying to get a judgment. However, if the statute of limitations (the maximum amount of time that you have to bring a lawsuit) runs out, then they can no longer bring a lawsuit. One of the things that you may want to do is get into a debt settlement agreement with them that specifically says that they will not bring a lawsuit in the future as a result. I found a good website for templates and you can find one for cheap if you click here.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

But wouldn't "refrain from future collection calls or other collection communication" include a lawsuit?

Unfortunately no. They can still pursue collections, but it won't prohibit them, or anyone that they may sell the debt to, from coming after you in court. They're only saying that they will refrain from collection calls or other communication, but their right to sue isn't eliminated. What other questions did you have for me?