Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Second opinion] how does a consent judgement work. I owe…

Second opinion] how does a...
Second opinion] how does a consent judgement work. I owe back condo assoc dues , which I am making monthly payments. The new board wants me to sign a consent judgementJA: Where is the property located?Customer: They have also tried to add legal fees to my association balance without any court order or my consent In MissouriJA: Has any paperwork been filed?Customer: Not that I know of, well We had a court date about 6-7 months ago but it wad cancelled by themJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: no
9/21/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

A consent judgment is essentially a contractual settlement agreement that is filed in court. If you agree to a consent judgment that means you agreed to terms and to settle the dispute and they filed that agreement in court which has the effect of any court judgment. That means if you do not comply, they do not have to sue you, they can file to garnish wages, seize bank accounts or property or place liens on real estate. It saves them from having to go to court again if you fail to comply with the agreement.

As far as attorney's fees they have a right to seek fees for collection of any past due amounts, but if you do not agree to pay those fees and they sue you, the court will award them the fees. So the choice is your choice, you can seek to negotiate and deal for the consent judgment or you can let them sue and the attorney's fees will likely increase and they will obtain a judgment against you in court which they can then seek to enforce by garnishment, seizure or placing a lien and foreclosure on your unit.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.