Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU FOR INFORMATION ON THE COMPANIES…

MY NAME IS***** WOULD LIKE...

MY NAME IS***** WOULD LIKE TO ASK YOU FOR INFORMATION ON THE COMPANIES LISTED BELOW. DO YOU HAVE ANY REPORTS ON AVALON WORLD INVESTMENT INC. OR MIDWEST PROPERTIES INVESTMENT LLC? AVALON WORLD INVESTMENT INC IS LISTED AS A COMPANY IN ALBUQUERQUE NEW MEXICO AND MIDWEST PROPERTIES INVESTMENT LLC. IS LISTED AS A COMPANY IN OKLAHOMA CITY OKLAHOMA.

9/20/2017
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. What is your relationship with these companies? Do you have websites for them? How did you learn of them? What are they offering to do for you and what are they asking you for in return?

According to the New Mexico Secretary of State's corporate register, they have no record of any business in the state called AVALON WORLD INVESTMENT INC. A real corporation would have to be listed here for tax purposes.

Similarly, there is no MIDWEST PROPERTIES INVESTMENT LLC registered as an LLC in the state of Oklahoma. There was once a Midwest Investment Properties LLC, but it is inactive and its registration was suspended.

So I don't know what your dealings are with these companies, and I still want the answer to my questions. But what I see right now doesn't look good.

I AM A TIMESHARE OWNER AND THEY CONTACTED ME WITH A OFFER TO BUY MY TIMESHARE LOCATED IN MEXICO.
THEY ARE ASKING ME TO PAY THE SAT TO SATISFY THE TAX LIEN.

NO!!!!!

The rule of thumb is to avoid unsolicited calls from any timeshare reseller service making a too good to be true pitch and charging an up-front fee for its services. There's really no exception to that.

Additionally, in Mexico, unlike in the US, all closing costs are borne by the buyer, not the seller. You have no tax obligation to Mexico. You paid tax to buy it in the first place. It's the buyer's obligation now, not yours. These are claiming to be resellers and counting on your lack of familiarity with Mexican law.

If you give me websites, I can look more deeply into the companies and give you a less general answer, but they are lying about their credentials. They are not licensed in the state where they claim to be doing business.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
THERE ARE WEBSITES FOR EACH COMPANY. FOR AVALON IT IS' WWW.AVALONWORLDINVESTMENT.COM' AND THEIR E-MAIL ADDRESS IS***@******.*** AND FOR MIDWEST IT IS'WWW.MIDWESTPROPERTIESINVESTMENT.COM' AND THE E-MAIL IS***@******.***.
Phone call session started

Avalon has been brought to the attention of the BEtter Business Bureau but they have no information to rate it. That's because, unsurprisingly, the business is very, new.

According to their web registration Avalon registered the domain name in March 2017 and for one year only, the least amount of time you can register a domain name for. They are set up to disappear in march 2018. Real businesses set themselves up for the long haul.

Additionally, they are using a private proxy service from Panama to hide the name of their site owner and actual location.

All in all, these are signs of a reseller fraud.

Midwest is the same, also -- no surprise -- set up in March 2017 and will expire in March 2018. They too are hiding behind a private proxy service.

Your phone call request went through, so I'll be calliing shortly.

Per our conversation:

Contact the FBI online. Their website is www.IC3.gov which is a special site they have set up for internet-related fraud.

File an online report with the Federal Trade Commission to make them aware of these folks and shut the websites down. They are at www.FTC.gov

A useful place to get information before you sign any contract with a reseller is www.Tug2.net and tug's forum called tugbbs.com.

Tug2 is made up entirely of Timeshare owners who have all learned from their mistakes and are eager to educate others and help them sell or rent their timeshares while avoiding problems with scams. The site has been recommended by consumer advocates.

Good luck!