Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My husband went to Pep Boys 2 days ago with an issue on his…

Hi, my husband went...

Hi, my husband went to Pep Boys 2 days ago with an issue on his car. He picked it up yesterday, paid $1500 for the repair, and about an hour later the original issue still existed. (The check engine light continually came on) He has gone to them on many occassions and everytime he does, there is always something else wrong with his vehicle, as if they are purposely breaking something else in order to get him to return. This has been going on for atleast 4 of the 5 years that he has owned the vehicle, and quite frankly, I'm sick and tired of it. What are our options as far as suing for all of the back and forth and the headaches?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

The car is a 2008 ford edge, which he purchased used in Dec.2012. We are in Brooklyn, New York.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of off the top of my head.

Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

On review of your facts, you have a good case.You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! A lawyer letter alone can often bring about a settlement as the other side realizes that you are serious and gets concerned about its risk and legal fees.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
thank you for the answer. This is an acceptable answer. Thank you very much.

Thanks!

Kindly rate me 5 stars.

Infolawyer, Lawyer