Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

What are my rights as a used car buyer? Does vermont used…

Customer Question
What are my rights as...
What are my rights as a used car buyer? Does vermont used car dealers legally have to tell a customer/buyer if the vehicle has been in accidents before selling? As well as recalls that are open on the vehicle?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Your right as a used car buyer is to request to have the vehicle checked out by a mechanic of your choice before agreeing to the sale. If they say no, you have a right to walk away. You also have a right to request a warranty, but most people who sell used cars won't give them (or don't read them carefully - used car warranties rarely cover as much as people think they do).

A seller of a used car has no obligation to tell a customer/buyer if the car has been in accidents in the past unless specifically asked, and they similarly are not required by law to look. Which means that if they say something like "I'm not aware of any accidents," it's not a lie, because they won't check unless required. You can ask them to pull a Carfax report on any vehicle you're interested in before agreeing to purchase it and give you a hard copy. But you should be aware that Carfax isn't a substitute for a mechanic, because not everyone reports to them when they do repairs on a vehicle. Especially people who do their own repairs, and you don't know who owned a car before you.

They also do not have any obligation to tell you about existing recalls, and likely don't keep up on all recalls on all vehicles. That gives them deniability, because the only law is that they can't lie. But you could check with the manufacturer before deciding whether to buy a car.

In short, the caveat of "buyer beware" very much applies to the purchase of a used car. The sale is as-is, and they don't have to look for any issues, and they don't have to disclose known issues unless asked. It can be difficult to prove they knew about a problem that arises later, which is why having a mechanic look at the car first is so helpful.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?