Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My wifetraded in a 2013 Honda Civic for a new 2017 Honda…

Customer Question
My wifetraded in a...

My wifetraded in a 2013 Honda Civic for a new 2017 Honda Civic. This was number 8 from the same dealer and the same salesman. The deal met her payment needs and was handled as "number 8" or "Routine". The paperwork was signed and she drobe away. After making 2 or 3 payments she receives a call from Honda Finance who says we are behind in payments. Not on the 2017 but instead the 2013 that was traded in Honda informs my wife the have turned us over to "Collections" for being over 45 days late. Once we contacted the dealer it was determined they didnt include the payoff in the paperwork. "Yes", we signed the contract but now are told the mistake is ours for $3600 additional dollars. Do we have any recourse? So far the dealer hasnt even apologized and we felt compelled to pay off Honda Financial. Please advise. Thanks!

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?

Kentucky (Hardin County) No contact yet with an attorny or advocate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We havent escalated as we figured we were somewhat responsible. Still, from a customer service perspective, we are very frustrated.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/20/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

I'm slighty confused by the question. Are you saying that the dealer failed to actually take your vehicle in trade (no transfer documents signed, etc.)?

Or do you mean that the vehicle was taken in trade, but the dealer failed to credit you for the value of $3,600 on the contract?

Infolawyer, Lawyer