Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have a TSA (KTN) number that I paid $85 for. It is in my…

Customer Question
I have a TSA...

I have a TSA (KTN) number that I paid $85 for. It is in my profile for AA; however, my boarding pass does not show TSA Pre. I called American and they said it is not guaranteed; if I had bought a full price farre or first class, I would probable have gotten it. Why did I pay $85 and now don't get pre check?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I just found out when I printed my boarding passes. I called American, but have not had time to file a complaint. What are my options for my flight which leaves PSP tomorrow morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, this is all the information I am presenting.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/19/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

I have received this run around from American as well, personally. I ended up calling TSA and making a complaint with them and TSA said that as long as your number was correctly entered at the time the ticket was purchased, you should have the pre on your boarding pass. Their solution was for me to bring my TSA Pre approval letter to the AA ticket desk and show them the letter and let the desk agent get into their system to fix it. Well, the first time I did so, the agent was quite frankly rude and unhelpful and I got nowhere because I am convinced she intentionally kept putting in the wrong number to prove she knew everything. However, the second time I managed to get a helpful agent who spent 10 minutes checking through their system and found the number they had entered was 1 number off which was causing the issues every time I flew.

However, if you read the TSA pre rules and airline rules they state in there that neither TSA or the airlines are responsible if you do not get Pre on your boarding pass, even if you paid for it, so both the airlines and TSA are absolved of legal liability and you cannot sue either of them.

Legally the only thing you can do is bring the approval letter to the check in ticket counter and deal with a supervisor or customer friendly ticket agent to actually see the letter and get into their system and fix the issue. Since I did so, I have not had a problem any longer with any of the airlines, and I am on a plane at least 6-8 times a month.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.