Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I believe I was a victim of a credit card scam. My bill

Customer Question
I believe I was...

I believe I was a victim of a credit card scam. My bill should have only been $30. However, I was repeatedly told that my credit cards were declined, and I was added to provide another one. After working overseas in Asia for 2 years, it didn't raise too much of an alarm for me. Unfortunately, when I checked my accounts the next day, $30 had turned into $6,000!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

My Discover card was declined twice. My debit card went through, but I was able to get that charge taken care of. The one that was charged even had a declined transaction in between the $3,200 charge and the $2,800 charge. I usually spend only $300-500/month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I called Chase the next day and I opened a fraud claim with them. They gave the merchant 2 statement cycles to provide proof. However, the "proof" provided is limited and the scheme appears so obvious with the amounts put through as a charge, declined, etc.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/19/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

Thanks for your information, however I do not see that you have asked a specific question. What would you like to know about your circumstances?

I am currently disputing the charges with my credit card company. However, if the company sides with the merchant I was looking wondering about my options? The aforementioned credit card has a $5,000 limit, the two charges they pushed through were an hour and 10 minutes apart and totaled $6000. They do have signature and finger print, but given my state of impairment which was do to something they had given me unknowingly earlier I was unaware and do not recall what was taking place. Additionally, the receipts don't match up and the signatures are sketchy. Add in my credit history,the declined charges, and the timing of these charges it was clear a scam was taking place.

Please give me about 10 minutes. I'm in the middle of a phone conference. Thanks for your patience.

If you allege a fraud (i.e., unauthorized use of the card), then under federal law, the credit card issuer cannot assert the bill against you in an amount greater than $50, unless it determines that no fraud occurred. 12 C.F.R. Section § 1026.12. If the credit card issuer does make that assertion, then you would have to sue the credit card issuer for violation of the federal Truth in Lending Act, and prove that the credit card transactions are unauthorized.

You could also sue the merchant, but if that merchant is outside of the USA, you'll probably never collect, and the cost of the legal action would be far greater than the amount charged to your card.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer (click 3, 4 or 5 stars) -- otherwise, Justanswer retains your entire payment, and I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf. Note: If you cannot find the rating button on your webpage, please just type in your rating in a response to this note, and customer service will apply the rating for you.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer