Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I paid cash for a car from an individual I have a bill of…

Customer Question
I paid cash for...

I paid cash for a car from an individual I have a bill of sale from him but he never has turned the title over to me it's been 6 months. The DMV shows it has a lein.what should I do.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Louisiana 2010 car

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I went to the DMV they will not let me file or do anything on the car because it's not legally mine and I kept waiting for him to come through and now after so many months I'm just at the end of my patience the inspection sticker is outdated and I hate to drive around in a car and I can't even get an inspection sticker without a registration I have had insurance on it the whole time I've had the car but his tag is still on the car

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Is it fraud to take money for a car that you don't have the title for?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. There is no basis to contest your position, which apparently is simply being pursued in bad faith against facts and law. Seller should refund your money. If seller refuses If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
will I have the option to keep the car because I really like it
You will either keep it and negotiate a reduced price and title, or return the car and get entire payment back from seller. Choice is yours but if he never had title and belonged to someone else you would be better off returning it and getting money back. Kindly rate me five stars.
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Infolawyer, Lawyer