Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have an outstanding bill owed to my mechanic for $705 for…

Customer Question
I have an outstanding...

I have an outstanding bill owed to my mechanic for $705 for a payment that didnt clear. If he files a mechanics lien can he or my lien holder repo my car even if I am current on my car note?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Utah and the car in a 2008

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No not that I am aware of

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The mechanic contacted my lien holder and is giving me until today to pay it or he files the lien

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/16/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you!

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

The mechanic can file a "Mechanic's Lien" on the car for a past due repair bill. Once he does that and notifies you and the lender he can sell the car for the bill. You would still be liable to the lender for the amount due on the loan.

If you have a dispute with the mechanic you are better off to pay the bill get your car and then sue the mechanic for failure to repair the car.

I am sorry that this is not what you may want to hear, but I would not want to mislead you into having additional problems.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

I currently have the vehicle
Can he repossess it?

If you have the vehicle that is much better for you. It is unusual for a mechanic to release the vehicle if they are owed money on a repair.

Your lender will not repossess the car for a disputed repair bill. The mechanic can try to sue you and get a judgment against you. Once they give up the car to you they can not apply for the mechanic's lien. They have to sue you. The mechanic can not repossess the car.

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

To be clearer, a mechanic's lien can be issued when the mechanic has possession of the car and is claiming the lien for repairs and storage. If they have returned the car to the owner they have to sue to obtain a judgment.

Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney