Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I have been contacted by phone that I won money from

Customer Question
I have been contacted...

I have been contacted by phone that I won money from American Cash Awards. They want money upfront and then said they would give me a check back to redeposit in my account. Is this a legetimate company or a scam? Contact me at(###) ###-####

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when exactly were you notified?

I am in Minnesota I was notified by phone this morning but afraid of scams and I can't afford to loose 4500.00. And she was very persistant this is real. My bank said it could be a scam.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No. I do not have his phone number.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She said if I did not take it that it would be give to charity,but if it is real then I could go off welfare. But she would put my name on the donation. I won't want that either. I could loose the help I am getting to exist.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/15/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to say but this is a scam. Do not give them any money or information. No legitimate company is going to ask for money to claim your prize and tell you to redeposit a check. You will give them money and be left with nothing and could be liable to your bank as well. I understand that you hope this is real but I have heard this scam over and over again, so do not give them a penny.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 10 months ago

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!