Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My widowed daughter was scammed by a mechanic. She had

Customer Question
My widowed daughter was...

My widowed daughter was scammed by a mechanic. She had trouble with her car losing oil and then when she tried to start it, it made horrible noises. Everyone said she threw a rod so she contacted this place where they had done good work for her before and found another motor for $1100. Had the car towed there, after a week got a call that to have it inspected another $1100 due to rust and some minor things. We did not have $1100 and did not believe him so went to pay off the engine and asked for the mileage of new used engine. Mechanic said he didn't know but another guy came in with a figure. Joseph, the mechanic laughed and said the car drove into the shop and it only needed a $7 part, had no major damage. Why didn't you call her? Well the other guys said she asked for an engine so put in an engine!!!! He seemed to think it was a big joke, smirking and laughing about this horror. How are we to know if they even replaced the engine or just put in the $7 part? What did they do with the original engine, replaced the part and sold it to someone else? We are having the car towed out of there asap and looking for an honest mechanic to inspect the car. What recourse do we have. I have loaned her the money for this so I need to know what to do to make this right, thanks.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

PA and it is a 1999 Jetta VW.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No, why?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Well had myself and an office girl witness his speech about the $7 part.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/15/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. In a situation like this, you may be able to sue the mechanic and the shop, if they lied to her and misrepresented the problem and charged for things which were not done or did not need to be done. A party would want to get the car checked out by another licensed mechanic, to see what was done and to assess and problems. They can also try and look at the engine and see what was done with it and if it can be shown that they simply lied to her and all this car needed was a $7 part and they charged her $1100, she could sue. Moreover, they should have a record of what they did with the other engine and if they sold it or disposed of it or made money off of it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!