Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a used Bentley a month ago from a dealer in Nevada.

Customer Question
I bought a used...

I bought a used Bentley a month ago from a dealer in Nevada. I was promised to receive the title within 10 days, but still don't have it. The car was also leaning forward to the right side and they told me that it was properly tested by the dealership and it only needs an alignment, that I can do when I'm back in LA and they will take care of the charges as they have a close relation to the local dealer (Ogara coach). The problem turned out to be a $10k suspension failure (that I had to pay for).
So, now I paid $10k to fix the problem I was promised never existed and was not reimbursed for that. I also did not receive the title and can not operate the vehicle (it was 30 days since I bought it).

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

I'm in CA, bought the car in Nevada. The car is 2013

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Why?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/14/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 11 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under NV law, purchase of any used vehicle is deemed to be "as is" which means that unless you received written warranty, typically the risk of hidden defect is on the BUYER not seller. However, in a case where you observed the defect and the seller misrepresented the nature to you or even perhaps did not know the extent of the defect and said they would cover it, THE SELLER IS LIABLE to you and if they do not pay you have grounds to sue for the costs of the repairs. At 10,000, you could sue in small claims in NV claims court where the sale occurred, since NV is proper jurisdiction, and you do not need an attorney to do so.

Now, as far as the title, they must apply for new title within a reasonable time after your purchase. If they prove they did apply for the title and they are waiting on the State of NV, they have not committed any type of violation. If they have not yet applied for the title, you need to write them and inform them that their failure to reasonably apply for and provide you title is a breach of the warranty of merchantability and you will seek to terminate the sale and demand refund if they do not provide proof title was applied for in 14 days from the receipt of your letter. IF they refuse, then you would need to file suit against them in NV Superior Court for breach of warranty to recover all of the damages from them.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.