Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a car for $1500. I only put $1200 down. That was…

Customer Question
Hi I purchased a car...
Hi I purchased a car for $1500. I only put $1200 down. That was on the 11th of this month. I drove the car to East Texas, Marshall to be exact. As I arrived to Marshall which was about 3 1/2 hours after I purchased the car it runs hot and water starts to leak. After having it looked at I purchased a radiator hose only to find out it was a blown gasket. I then called the guy I got the car from to let him know. He tells me that he hadn't tested the car so he didn't know if the car had any problems prior. I owe him $300. But I told him that if he gives me $900 back he can keep the rest and the car. Since I purchased the car as is he doesn't want to do that. He wants his $300 plus $413 for the tt&l and he wants me to pay for a tow truck and pay his mechanic to fix it. Is there anything I can do since i feel I was kind of played out of my money?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Did you receive a written warranty when you purchased the vehicle or was it as-is?

As is.
I'm probably screwed right?

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, when you purchase a car as-is you are basically letting the seller off the hook for any maintenance problems which may exist at the time of the sale or may develop shortly after. Assuming the seller has not switched out equipment or rolled back the odometer, they have no liability to you for any problems with the vehicle once you drive it off the lot.

That is why many people who buy an as-is vehicle will insist, before they buy, that it be inspected by their own mechanic.

You can file a consumer complaint with the state attorney general. They will investigate and take appropriate administrative action.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise.

Loren, Lawyer