Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Purchased a car that has/had hail damage that was not

Customer Question
Good morning. Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good morning.

Lawyer's Assistant: Hi. How can I help?

Purchased a car that has/had hail damage that was not disclosed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas 2017

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

You can tell they repaired some of the damage so they were aware. The car was a demo but on the contract it was indicated new. Approximately 3,000 in additional damage.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/13/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 9 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If they misrepresented the fact the car was damaged and the damage was not readily visible when you made a reasonable inspection of the vehicle prior to purchase, then you have a right to seek to cancel the contract based on it being void due to misrepresentation or to force them to repair the remaining damage, your choice. When a party sells a new car to you, they warrant it free from defect and are not allowed to misrepresent any known issues with the vehicle and if they failed to do that, then such misrepresentation can be an unfair and deceptive business practice and could allow you to sue for not just the damage costs, but also potential punitive damages up to three times the actual damage.

So you need to start by deciding whether you want to cancel the sale or force them to make repair, then you need to make your written demand on them and tell them if they refuse to settle this matter (even if they offer to give you a partial refund on the purchase price), then you will file a complaint with the Attorney General for unfair and deceptive practices for not disclosing hail damage and also with the Better Business Bureau and the state DMV dealer licensing bureau. If they still refuse, file your complaints with all three. If the AG, BBB and DMV cannot resolve the matter for you, then your final option is you would have the right to sue the dealer for their unfair and deceptive practices.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.