Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

A propane company is sending me a bill almost 2 years late.

Customer Question
A propane company is...

A propane company is sending me a bill almost 2 years late. i had them take there rented tank back. im sure i paid for this but cant prove it

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Oklahoma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Do i have to pay this

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/12/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Did you have a written contract?

How much are they demanding?

only about renting the tank
the charge is 246 dollars for 170 gallons

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, the statute of limitations on the claim is 5 yrs. So, they can sue you to collect this if they want. Whether they will actually file suit to collect this small amount is up to them. If they do, though, you will need to find some proof of payment or they will get a judgment.

Check your bank records for cancelled checks or withdrawals at that time in the same amount.

Other than that, of they report it on your credit, send a letter to the credit reporting agencies reporting the item and let them know it is disputed and provide evidence of payment.

You can also try to negotiate a settlement for a smaller sum. Just make sure to get a release if you arrive at terms of settlement.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this or incurring additional liability.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.