Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I leased a brand new vehicle from a dealership and the car

Customer Question
has ants crawling on the...
I leased a brand new vehicle from a dealership and the car has ants crawling on the outside. Brought this issue up with the sales manager for a trade in or anything he could do to make this right. Have not heard anything from him and don't believe he will resolve this. He did a quick look with his tech team, though I think they need to be a lot more thorough. They didn't even put the car up on a lift and didn't offer a lender vehicle so they could check the car out better. They want to say the ants got there when I brought it home. That's crazy!!! never had an ant problem when I had my 2003 vehicle sitting in front of my house. No one here has an ant problem with their vehicles either, and the ants are not even ones I've seen here anyway. These are bigger black ants...when I see ants here they are small and brown. I'm sick over this and can't bring myself to go anywhere with it, now I have to make monthly payments on a car I don't feel like driving. I miss my 14 year old baby, it had issues but at least I wouldn't feel discussed getting in it. I'm at a loss. I tried getting in touch with 7 on your side. They get many, many people so don't think they will find my matter as important.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: NY
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Yes, I had a police report done last Thursday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so, just want a car not anything else
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/11/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KnowYourRights, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
KnowYourRights

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am so sorry to hear about what you are dealing with. Just to be clear, they are claiming the ants have nothing to do with the car itself? That they came in from someplace else and the car did not come with them?

Pretty much. The one manger said they probably came from me. I actually spoke to a pest control professional and he said there was no way to prove where they came from. I would be wasting my time and money bringing them to court. This is really depressing! Anyway someone is coming tomorrow to check and see....I was hoping they could find proof of infestation that doesn't just come overnight. Just wanted a report that claimed that being the case. Looks like I'll have to try and get rid of them myself. ��

Thank you for the reply. You would want a third party to inspect the vehicle, to see and determine that the dealer or manufacturer was at fault for this and there was a defeat in the car. If that can be shown, you could have a cause of action against them but ants could come from any place at any time, so it would be hard to sue and show that it was a result of them directly, which would require them to pay you damages or to replace the car. I know this is not ideal but it would be costly to sue and to try and recover for this but you can certainly proceed, if you desire.

Infolawyer, Lawyer