RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers
8534270

Sorry, I am looking for a CPA, I need some information on

Customer Question

Sorry, I am looking for a CPA
JA: The Expert will know what to do. Please tell me everything you can so the Expert can help you best.
Customer: I need some information on Sweepstakes tickets and when I am supposed to send in the ID voucher that was sent to me.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: I have quite a few letters from different stating that I am already a winner if I send back their questionnaire and a donation (not mandatory) to a charity and if my # matches their # which was pulled before the contest began. My # is on the letter that I am supposed to send back, but they do not make it clear whether or not I should send the voucher that they sent me in the beginning. Everything has to be right otherwise you forfeit the prize..
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

It’s illegal to ask you to pay or buy something to enter or increase your odds of winning.Prize promoters might sell your information to advertisers.

When you sign up for a contest or drawing, you probably will get more promotional mail, telemarketing calls, or spam email instead of a prize.If they are wanting money here these are scams.The FTC regulates sweepstakes and not money or purchase can be legally required.If it is a donation I would still be suspect it may be a scam and they may be selling your information to time share sellers or others.I would just consider not responding here it doesn't sound legitimate.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

FTC scam alert

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0199-prize-scams

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They just request voluntary donations and make it clear that you do not have to send anything in order to win. However, my primary question has to do with the Id that was assigned to me, indicating that I need to have it when and if I am a winner. Some of these letters say that I am a winner,but thet do not request me to send them my ID # that I had received from them.
Lucille
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to go out now, but I will get back to you soon...Lucille

Lucille as long as you don't send them your drivers license or personal id you should be fine.I wouldn't give them any money her even if it is a voluntary one, It should not affect your chances of winning.