RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I purchased a used car from a dealer 3 days ago. The third

Customer Question

I purchased a used car from a dealer 3 days ago. The third day the check engine light came on and I took the car to my mechanic only to find out that the car will need about $5,000 in repairs. Can I return the car to the dealer and cancel the contract?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: Maryland and the car is 2008
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Unfortunately the right to rescind in Maryland is limited to a very few types of contracts: http://statutes.laws.com/maryland/real-property/title-7/subtitle-3/7-310 . There is in general no general 3 day rescission rule on contracts in Maryland. There is such a rule lending agreements, certain vacation home contracts, contracts sold by door-to-door sales reps and a few other categories with highly specific laws addressing those issues, but not / matchmaking services. In general, there is NO such law unless a specific provision of law specific type of contract creates that exception.

Many consumers mistakenly believe all contracts allow a 3-day cooling-off period to cancel. Generally, there's no cooling-off period after you sign a contract. (In Maryland, only a few types of transactions, such as door-to-door sales contracts, allow you a certain number of days to cancel.) However, if the dealer promised finance terms, such as a certain interest rate or monthly payment, and is unable to honor those terms, you can't be forced to accept other terms and may cancel the contract.

Now if you feel that there was fraud and deception, you can certainly file a complaint with the MD attorney general's office: http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/complaint.htm

And if the contract itself gives you the right to return it or a warranty, then you would have such a right. But otherwise it's going to be "as-is", and your only recourse would be what the seller gives you back. Now if you threaten to go to the BBB, Chamber of Commerce, etc... then maybe they'll work with you, but they have no legal obligation to do so.

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions).

If you can't see the stars, you may need to scroll up / down / left / or right to see them. This is where you rate so that the question will close out.

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

I see that you have still not responded or rated in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Expert:  RGMacEsq replied 1 month ago.

Can you see on your screen where you need to rate it? Note that you may need to press a "submit" button after clicking on the appropriate star rating. This is what I'm waiting on from you. Thanks!