Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Accused of shoplifting $38 worth of merchandise. I was

Customer Question
Accused of shoplifting $38 worth...
Accused of shoplifting $38 worth of merchandise. I was purchasing double items, I thought I had double rang items, they said I didn't!!
I tried to pay for items! They wouldn't let me use my phone to call me kids in the store!
The lady was very mean, and judgemental with me!
The police didn't speak to me the way she did! She even made a crack about my shoes!
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/6/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state did this happen? Were you charged with shoplifting? Have you appeared in court yet? What is your question with regard to this situation?

Tx

Please answer all of my questions, as I don't know what your present situation is and you also haven't told me what you wish to find out.

Linden Texas and we haven't appeared in court yet. I called the police and I was issued a citation for theft left less than $100
They called police and was issued a citation for theft less $100.00. I tried to pay for items

Sorry for the delay. I had to leave the computer for a doctor's appointment and have onl yjust returned.

You have two choices with a criminal case and for either, it is best that you have a lawyer representing you.

The first is to fight the case all the way to trial. It is the state's burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to leave the store without paying for all your goods. It would be up to your lawyer to try to cast doubt on that so that you could win your case. If the property is worth less than $50, this would be a class C misdemeanor in Texas, which means there is no possibility you'll get jail for this charge, even if you lose your case. If you lose at trial, however, you will have a misdemeanor conviction which cannot be expunged or sealed.

The other way is to have your lawyer negotiate a deal for you to dispose of the case in such a way that you can remove the conviction from your record.

The choice is yours and not your lawyer's.

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer