Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

Accused of shoplifting $38 worth of merchandise. I was

Customer Question

Accused of shoplifting $38 worth of merchandise. I was purchasing double items, I thought I had double rang items, they said I didn't!!
I tried to pay for items! They wouldn't let me use my phone to call me kids in the store!
The lady was very mean, and judgemental with me!
The police didn't speak to me the way she did! She even made a crack about my shoes!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. In what US state did this happen? Were you charged with shoplifting? Have you appeared in court yet? What is your question with regard to this situation?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tx
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Please answer all of my questions, as I don't know what your present situation is and you also haven't told me what you wish to find out.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Linden Texas and we haven't appeared in court yet. I called the police and I was issued a citation for theft left less than $100
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They called police and was issued a citation for theft less $100.00. I tried to pay for items
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 1 month ago.

Sorry for the delay. I had to leave the computer for a doctor's appointment and have onl yjust returned.

You have two choices with a criminal case and for either, it is best that you have a lawyer representing you.

The first is to fight the case all the way to trial. It is the state's burden to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you intended to leave the store without paying for all your goods. It would be up to your lawyer to try to cast doubt on that so that you could win your case. If the property is worth less than $50, this would be a class C misdemeanor in Texas, which means there is no possibility you'll get jail for this charge, even if you lose your case. If you lose at trial, however, you will have a misdemeanor conviction which cannot be expunged or sealed.

The other way is to have your lawyer negotiate a deal for you to dispose of the case in such a way that you can remove the conviction from your record.

The choice is yours and not your lawyer's.