Andrew
Andrew, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney
98985349

I'm hoping you can help with a question I have, Texas, I'm

Hello I'm hoping you can help with a question I have
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Texas, I'm looking to file a complaint on a business through the attorney general and FTC
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: Well, it's kind of tricky they really wouldn't be able to help me out
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm wondering what the legality of a business selling appliances (like refrigerators) in Texas with no serial numbers. I have suspicion to believe that it is done on purpose after seeing a complaint from a consumer about a unit that was sold to them that that the manufacturer told them was actually supposed to be decommissioned. A lot of their units don't have serial numbers and some have been only have torn off.

Hello I am a licensed practicing attorney with 20 years’ experience hopefully I can help with your problem. Please give me a moment to review and respond to your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks. I was lied to and told the unit I bought from them was new. They claim to be a scratch and dent place. The unit I bought was giving a bad odor and they refused to help me out at first but finally agreed to an exchange. Noticed the unit I bught has no serial number and now i'm refusing the exchange because of lack of serial numbers. They refuse to refund my money.

So you are correct serial numbers are usually removed because there is has been a recall on the product. It is illegal to sell products that have been recalled under the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 (CPSIA). Under the CPSIA, it is illegal to sell any recalled consumer product. A consumer product is defined as "any product that is found in or around the home, a school, or in a recreational setting, including furniture, appliances, rugs, curtains, bed linens, wearing apparel, jewelry, toys, sports equipment and electronics."

If the serial has been inadvertently removed for worn off etc. then it would not be illegal.

The sticker may have just been removed because it is unsightly. Whether it is illegal or not really depends on whether your particular model of refrigerator has been recalled.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you so much for your answer.

If you have any other questions please let me know otherwise just accept my answer and enter a rating. 5 stars is appreciated. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
there's really no way to know since i can't look up the model serial number with the manufacturer

Ratings are the top of your page I believe.

do you have the serial #?

Thank you for the rating.

Here is a government site to check recalls:

https://www.recalls.gov/cpsc.html

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No it was removed before I bought it. I did find a serial number on another unit, took a pic and called Samsung. They said that the unit was previously owned and after several attempts to fixing it they finally have the previous owner a refund and was supposed to have the cord cut to be decommissioned. Before I found all this the sales person told me that same fridge was for sale.

If you do find that your refirgerator has been recalled ask for an immediate refund, file a complaint with your attorney generals office, and a police report.

Was yours sold to you as new or refurbished?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Was lied and told new, turns out it was used. Even came with tags which I showed the lady and she ended up apologizing.

If you were told it was new your are entitled to a full refund or at the very least if you want to keep the fridge a partial refund for the actual value that you should have paid.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Even if they have an all sales final policy, which by the way I asked for a copy and they couldn't produce one. The sales person denied telling me that when though I asked because I wouldn't have knowingly bought a used fridge. It's really my word against theirs at this point
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sales person denied it and talked to the owner so the owner is refusing the refund because she's backing her employee.

That's unfortunate. There may be another less visible place where you can determine the serial on the fridge. I would do some investigation before giving up completely.

Best of luck to you. Favorite me so you can find me in the future.