Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a used truck in state of Oregon from a

I purchased a used...

I purchased a used truck in state of Oregon from a dealership. They attempted to sell me a warranty but I went with a different warranty due to cost. It was same warranty as dealer was going to sell. anyways, at 65k miles I had to have engine rebuilt and warranty company will not cover the work due to vehicle being a grey title. truck was built in Canada for Canada. this was not disclosed to me at time of sell. the warranty company returned my premium payments for warranty but repairs still cost additional 2500.00 dollars. Shouldn't this have been disclosed at time of purchase

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

2011 diodge ram 1500 purchased in Oregon, licensed it in Washington st

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

I contacted Daimler Chrysler and they would not do anything. prior to contacting the dealership I wanted to have better understanding of laws before I have conversation with them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Like to know if I have any recourse from dealership who sold this vehicle without disclaimer of grey tiltle/market

8/8/2017
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under the law, they have to honor the warranty as written and they cannot under the Manguson Moss Warranty Act hold you liable for things you did not know about. If the warranty company refuses to honor the warranty, then you have grounds to sue not only the dealer for not disclosing the vehicle was a grey market vehicle, but also the warranty company for breach of warranty.
Under the MMWA, your first step is to file a claim with the OR Attorney General against both the warranty company and your dealer. They are supposed to negotiate a resolution. If they cannot negotiate a resolution, then you can sue both the warranty company and dealer for their respective breaches in their contracts.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.