KJLLAW
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
92128996

In Texas is the finance company required to notify me if

Customer Question

In Texas is the finance company required to notify me if they picked up my car after a mechanic lein was placed? I went to get my car and was told the finance company already picked it up. when I called my finance company I was told my car was sold at an auction.
JA: How old is the vehicle? When was it purchased?
Customer: 2012 Toyota Camry purchases in 2013, This happened in Aug 2015 and I was still making monthly payments.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
Good morning. I am a legal expert who will answer your question
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Good morning
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
In the state of Texas is the finance company required to notify me if they picked up my car after a mechanic lien was placed? I went to pick up my car from the repair shop I told the finance company already picked it up. when I called my finance company I was told my car was sold at an auction. One other question, someone was driving my car when it was wrecked so i was sent to nearest tow lot, is the registered owner the only one who can sign the authorization?
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
A little background, in Texas, the law provides that a creditor with a lien upon personal property may repossess the collateral car, if the you are in default.The creditor does not have to give you notice of the repossession before they "repo" the collateral. If fact, the creditor is unlikely to give you notice of exactly when or where they intend to pick up the collateral, because they're concerned that you'll hide it or otherwise keep it from them.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
only the registered owner can sign for the car, unless they present written authorization. I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question with stars so that I will receive credit and payment for assisting you with your question.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I wasn't in default, I was making monthly payments. I was waiting on insurance to send check for damages. When I got the money to pick up the car the finance company picked it up and sold in auction without my knowledge. I am asking if the finance company is required to send me notification before sale of my vehicle as if it was repossessed?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do you know the Texas statue code where I can find the code about the owner's signature to authorize for repair?
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
Texas has no law or statute specifically governing auto repairs or authorization. A few laws govern repairs and Deceptive Trade Practices - Consumer Protection Act includes some sections that deal with auto repairs.Under this law, it is illegal to:Knowingly make a false or misleading statement about the need for parts, replacement or repair service.
State that work has been done or parts were replaced when that is not true.
Represent that goods are original or new, when in fact they are second-hand or refurbished.
Advertise goods or services with intent not to sell them as advertised.
I hope this clarifies. Please don't forget to rate the question.