Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

For law educator esq ONLY. I will wait. have two settlements

Customer Question

for law educator esq ONLY. I will wait. have two settlements one through mediation. defendants attorneys refuse to release funds unless i sign a w 9. i refuse. even irs told me not to sign. bar association said attorneys should pay within 30 days regardless (one case 8 years old. other 8 months old). w 9 is invasion of my privacy and (disabled) hardship. Can YOU find where to avoid this bookeeping tactic (i dont respectfully ***** ***** i do not owe money, irs checked my issues and record, am not a felon and am a citizen. among other things these payments will appear on my year end statement and generate a w 1099).
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Actually, a W-9 means nothing in this instance for a lawsuit, since most settlements are tax-exempt and you would claim them as such as they are a reimbursement for losses. There is nothing saying they cannot ask for a W-9 and we get 1099 for our clients all the time, but that does not mean the funds are taxable, the clients write them as non-taxed legal reimbursement settlements. HOWEVER, that being said if they are not turning over settlement funds in 30 days you have 2 options and can exercise both. First, file a complaint to the bar for them not complying with the rules of professional conduct in surrendering funds. Second, file a motion for contempt in the court where the settlement was entered or suit for breach of contract if there was a settlement without suit.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.