Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

My son recently wrecked our truck. the insurance company…

Customer Question
My son recently wrecked...

My son recently wrecked our truck. the insurance company told me that they had to pick the truck up and take it to their place to inspect the truck. when a 3rd party towing service came his comments were "they totalled the truck for this?" after a few days of waiting the insurance company called back and said the truck was totalled and that they found the value of the truck to be 4700.00. we asked a friend of ours who is a car salesmen and he said the value is twice that much . we have already cashed the check... is there anything we can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: How old is the vehicle? When was it purchased?

The truck is a 2003 chevy silverado and it was purchased in 2005

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

Ohio

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/4/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

thanks

The policy must have a provision to allow a policy holder to appeal or challenge the insurance company's adjuster's opinion of value. Check your policy. It is important that you follow the provision to the letter. Missing a notice, for example, could prejudice your rights.

Usually, arbitration is required before you can sue.

You may also want to threaten the insurance company with a bad faith suit. That is something which usually gets their attention, since it can result in an award of punitive damages and attorney fees.

If they are being difficult, a threatening letter from an attorney may scare them.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer