How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118787
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] I want to get a refund from Summit

Customer Question

Second opinion] I want to get a refund from Summit Technology, they sold me Webroot security for my computer. It never loaded right! This was on 3/08/2017.JA: Has a refund request been made in writing?Customer: Yes they gave me a fax # that was no good, to fax them my proof of purchaseJA: Has anything been filed or reported?Customer: NoJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Summit Technology is located in Hartford, CT. If they refuse to issue a refund to you, the first step is to contact your credit card company to see if they have a warranty on credit card purchases (if you purchased on your credit card) and if they do file a claim and seek a refund through your credit card.
If your credit card cannot issue a refund, then your next step I am afraid would require you to file a small claims court suit in Hartford, CT against the company and you can sue not only for the cost of the software, but also your reasonable costs of travel to pursue your suit and costs of filing your suit.
You can also file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau if you wish to try that, as many times the BBB can negotiate a refund without you having to sue. However, if this company is as unresponsive as you say, suing in small claims is likely going to be your final recourse against them.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.