Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I recently had a car towed to a garage, because I thought it

Customer Question

I recently had a car towed to a garage, because I thought it might be a fuel pump, they said after a week waiting it wasn't , the fuel pump, but they didn't know what it was and they had spent 800 dollars worth of labor on it and I should have it towed away and pay the bill. is that legal
JA: How old is the vehicle? When was it purchased?
Customer: 2002
JA: What state are you in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I had just put 4 new tires on it anfd I hate to let them have it for not being able to pay them
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 2 months ago.
I am sorry to hear that this happened to you.Are they saying take the car away that they cannot fix it and that they are also asking for the $800?If so, before putting in the labour that they did did they ask you about it and get your confirmation that this was OK?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 months ago.

Yes, it is legal. A mechanic shop can charge for attempting to diagnose a problem even if they are not able to determine the cause. They are also allowed to charge for storage after you have been informed that they were or were not able to fix it and it could be released to you.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.