Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

Can a vet keep my dog if I cannot pay the bill in full? I…

Customer Question
Can a vet keep my...
Can a vet keep my dog if I cannot pay the bill in full? I took her in because she appeared very ill. They did $1000 in testing and now say she just needs an antibiotic.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/2/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I need to know if they can keep my dog if I cannot pay the $1000. I am very upset because they said she only needs antibiotic yet they kept her overnight and "ran a lot of tests". I feel scammed by this vet and just want to get my dog back

Unfortunately, the answer to your question is yes. In California, if the amount due for services is not been paid within 10 days after the payment has become do, the vet is able to keep the animal after treatment in the animals than considered “liened.” Italy Nazarite to hold another's property until the debt is paid. Under California law, the law allows the vet to sell the animal after giving at least ten, but not more than 20 days notice to the owner prior to the sale. (Civ. Code 3051 and 3052.) I'm sorry, I wish I had some better information, but at least you know how long you have before the end of visual is able to sell the animal.