Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a 2010 Chevy Impala! I was paying $900+ every…

Customer Question
I purchased a 2010...

I purchased a 2010 Chevy Impala ! I was paying $900+ every month due to poor credit. I needed the vehicle to get to work everyday. My job required me to travel between multiple locations. No overtime pay. At times I fell behind but I would take money out of my pension to catch up. I got paid bi-wily. GMAC took my vehicle one night leaving me unable to get to work! I was told that I had to bring them $17,000 to get back the vehicle. This happened in 2016. The car was worth $2200 due to high mileage. They are still after me to pay $17,000. What are my options. Thank you!

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They sent me a letter last Friday requesting an opportunity to make payment arrangements within 20 days from the date of their letter 7/18/2017 or they would file with a collection agency. I intend to call after your advice. Thank you

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I went back to the same dealership And explained what had happened. I previously had 4 previous autos including the car in question from that dealership. That same Chevy Dealership sold me another newer model Chevy Impala 2016 2 days later.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

New Jersey

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/1/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question.At this point what result are you seeking?
Not to pay $17,000. Only book value of the vehicle, or nothing at all.
Agreed and that is reasonable based on the facts and value as well as prior dealings.You can negotiate toward this end and leverage threat of legal action.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.A consumer lawyer locally can also get involved. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.
If I can clarify or explain anything further, just ask me. kindly rate me 5 stars.