Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I got a phone call about a debt owed from 2008, last payment…

Customer Question
i got a phone call...
i got a phone call about a debt owed from 2008, last payment made in 2009. can a collection agency sue me now, after 8 years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/1/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am the legal expert attorney. I will assist you today. What state are you located? What is the debt?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Maine, HSBC Bank, for a Kawasaki four wheeler my husband had before we got married.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I should also add, it is no longer on our credit reports, and any past debts we have paid off...

Ok, I will work on your answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Maine, there is a six year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit on a written contract (this also applies for credit card debt). However, there is no limit on the credit company or collection agency seeking collection of the debt. It can only be reported on a credit report 7 years after the charge-off. If it is not being reported and it is 8 years old it is uncollectable. That said, they probably sold off the debt in hopes that you will be so kind and pay them some of the amount owed. But he is now under no legal obligation to pay this collection agency. The best thing you can do now inform them that the time for collection has passed, 6 years, and that you will not pay.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

If you have any other questions please just ask