How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJLLAW Your Own Question
KJLLAW, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 1611
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
KJLLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got a phone call about a debt owed from 2008, last payment

Customer Question

i got a phone call about a debt owed from 2008, last payment made in 2009. can a collection agency sue me now, after 8 years?
Submitted: 2 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
Good afternoon. I am the legal expert attorney. I will assist you today. What state are you located? What is the debt?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maine, HSBC Bank, for a Kawasaki four wheeler my husband had before we got married.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should also add, it is no longer on our credit reports, and any past debts we have paid off...
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.

Ok, I will work on your answer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

In Maine, there is a six year statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit on a written contract (this also applies for credit card debt). However, there is no limit on the credit company or collection agency seeking collection of the debt. It can only be reported on a credit report 7 years after the charge-off. If it is not being reported and it is 8 years old it is uncollectable. That said, they probably sold off the debt in hopes that you will be so kind and pay them some of the amount owed. But he is now under no legal obligation to pay this collection agency. The best thing you can do now inform them that the time for collection has passed, 6 years, and that you will not pay.

I hope this helps.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

Expert:  KJLLAW replied 2 months ago.
If you have any other questions please just ask