Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have a shore house I am rebuilding, I hired a contractor…

Customer Question
I have a shore...

I have a shore house I am rebuilding, I hired a contractor who hired a sheetrock firm. I paid my contractor, he has not fished paying the sheet rocker who now wants to come after me for the remainder , can he do this.

Lawyer's Assistant: Was this discussed with a manager, HR, or an attorney?

No just someone at the sheetrocker who is quite obnoxiuos

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

He says he is giving this to the lawyers

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What is the charge for this

Lawyer's Assistant: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Lawyer. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.

How much will the charge be

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/1/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, the sub contractor can go after the homeowner and contractor both or separately for payment if the contractor did not pay them. If the contractor did not pay the sub, you need to pursue the contractor for that payment and inform them you will be filing a complaint with the state contractor licensing board and the state attorney general for fraud and have them investigate. If he still refuses to pay, you need to file your complaints and if they cannot resolve the payment issue, you have to sue the contractor for payment.
As far as the sub, he can place a lien on your home if his bill is not paid and you need to get the contractor to make that payment to avoid the lien.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer