Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a used van on Thursday at 7pm. Yesterday on I-81…

Customer Question
I purchased a used...

I purchased a used van on Thursday at 7pm. Yesterday on I-81 North the van caught on fire Do I have any rights given the 72 hour timeframe? I did sign a piece of paper saying that they didn't owe me anything by means of warranty

Lawyer's Assistant: Because consumer protection law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Purchased in Virigina Virginia* I live in West Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you contacted the manufacturer?

No it's a 2002 Toyota mini van Sienna I paid cash

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, that is all I have - I am having it towed back to the dealership

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/31/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

.

Was this purchase from a dealer or a private individual?

.

Was there any type of written warranty on it?

.

.

thanks

Hello Barrister - thank you. I have one correction before we continue, it was purchased on Friday night not Thursday. So I literally had it lest than 48 hours. I bought it from Bingo Motors in Winchester VA, I live in Martinsburg, WV
less* than 48 hours.
No warranty - I signed a piece of paper that said they owe me nothing.

Thank you for that information.. Unfortunately if you signed a disclaimer acknowledging that this was an "as is" sale, then contractually they wouldn't be liable for the cost of any repairs after you left their lot. That is why it is critical to have a used vehicle inspected by a mechanic prior to purchasing to make sure it it roadworthy..

.

However, if the dealer did anything to conceal known defects, and you asked if there was anything wrong with it, then you could sue them for fraud and breach of contract for failing to disclose and covering things up. So you will need to have the vehicle inspected to determine the source of the fire. For example, if there was an crack in the oil pan and it was leaking onto the exhaust, and they just tried to caulk it, that would be fraud on their part..

.

You might also contact Toyota to see if they had ever had any recalls on the vehicle for this issue as it could possibly be covered under some customer service extended warranty if this was a safety recall.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer