Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a boat a week ago from private owner picked after…

Customer Question
I bought a boat...

I bought a boat a week ago from private owner picked after he had done work on it and found out the deck is rotten. He said he would fix it but I would really just like my money back

Lawyer's Assistant: How old is the boat? When was it purchased?

1995 7/23/17

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in?

Ny

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/29/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Roger, Lawyer

HI - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Was the rotten portion of the boat visible or concealed?

It's the stringers wood which basically holds the boat together

Ok. IF the condition was concealed and it could not have been discovered upon reasonable inspection, then you could sue for material misrepresentation and seek compensation to repair the boat OR seek to cancel the agreement and recover your money.

But, if you were aware of the condition prior to purchase or if you could have discovered the condition upon reasonable inspection, then you would likely have a hard time prevailing because you could have discovered the condition prior to purchase.