Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I bought a kitten from a pet store in NY. Kitten was ill…

Customer Question
I bought a kitten...

I bought a kitten from a pet store in NY. Kitten was ill when I brought home. Ended up being hospitalized. They replaced kitten. 5 days later had to euthanize as he got leukemia. 2 different litters. Same store. Not fully refunded. Rude. and a lot of emotional pain over this. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And just to clarify, when was the purchase made?

Store was in Ny. I live in CT. Purchase made 7/9 Westchester puppies and kittens.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported it to the Dept of Public Health. That is all I have so far. I also filled out a Pet Lemon law form. But I want to know if I Have a case here. I am so saddened and disgusted. And based on further readings is not a new complaint for them. DPH is going out next week to look at them. But wondering if I can get compensation or them out of business.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's the main gist of the story. I can update them more too. They gave us check for $600 of $1300 worth of vet bills. and $1500 vs $2800 of purchase price. I had to call my credit card company to dispute. They are very hard to get a hold of as well.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/28/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, I believe you posted an additional question, asking if your initial question was posted. Just wanted to let you know I saw both posts.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 11 months ago

Your best option, if the store is refusing to refund all your money, is to file a small claims suit. New York's Small Claims Court is a quick and cost effective process to have your case heard by a judge. No lawyers are allowed in small claims and this allows you to regulate the cost of the case. The judge will listen to the case and help resolve the issue legally, without you having to do as much research into the law, as would normally be necessary.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as Good or Excellent (i.e., 4 or 5 stars)(hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!