Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Is it possible to cancel an existing contract?

Customer Question
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/25/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. I am a licensed attorney and look forward to helping you. I am reviewing your question and will reply back shortly.

One party can always decide to cancel/terminate their contract, the real question is what are the terms of the contract and would they be held in breach for doing so? As you likely know, a contract is a legally binding agreement between the parties. Very few contracts have "cooling off" periods or a right to rescind the contract after signing (e.g., you typically cannot cancel a contract for purchase of a vehicle, but door to door sales usually can be cancelled within 72 hours of signing). Some contracts have cancellation clauses and terms that bind a party or parties to specific terms or requirements.

In some situations, a party may wish to cancel a contract because they feel they are not getting what they contracted for. For example, a person hires a painter to paint their house, with the job to be completed within two weeks. A month later, the home still isn't painted, the paint color is all wrong, and the agreed upon price has gone out the window because the painter keeps demanding more money. The homeowner may want to cancel said contract. But if they simply tell the painter to 'get lost' and not work something out, they would technically be in breach of the contract and the painter could sue them! It then becomes a question for the courts as to whether there were grounds to walk away from the contract and what, if any damages should be awarded.

So, bot***** *****ne, can a contract be cancelled? Yes, but it's not always easy to do so, and not necessarily without consequences. It truly depends on the contract terms and situation, and if a party has issue with a contract, they would be well advised to discuss it with a local attorney before deciding to simply walk away from it.

Consumer Protection Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 months ago

Was there any additional information I could provide you, or anything I could clarify? If so, please REPLY WITHOUT RATING, and I'll be happy to assist further. If I've answered your question, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars. Thank you.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer