Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

D, I received a call this morning from an attorney, Daniels

Customer Question

d
JA: Have you contacted the seller or manufacturer? What documentation do you have?
Customer: I received a call this morning from an attorney, ***** ***** Daniels from Orangeberg, S. Carolina informing me I am a 2nd price winner of $500,000 in an international sweepstakes. I have entered many sweepstakes in the past. I was supposed to receive documents two weeks ago, but have not. He said that was not unusual but we could go ahead. I am really skeptical about this. He told me the taxes were being taken out of the winnings and that the sponsor was HSBC. I googled it and it is the 3rd largest bank in the world. He is with Teller and Daniels Assoc.
JA: What state are you in?
Customer: Indiana
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: They have stated that I need to send $1950 for consumer participation from the state of Indiana. The courier is supposed to be here between 9 and 11 am Wednesday with an attorney as there are many documents to go over. This is also supposed to be consumer protected by not putting this in the paper or tv. I have called the federal trade and gaming commission and spoke with a supposed agent, James Duran who checked through the computer and said, "Congratulations, you have won $500.00." He said at first he was skeptical, but it is real. I am still skeptical.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 months ago.

You should be VERY skeptical, and you should not send any money.

I take it they gave you the contact information for the Federal Trade and Gaming Commission, because there is no such agency. Scammers work in teams, and they bolster each other's lies.

When you are the winner of a real contest, the contest has your money already. You NEVER have to pay anything more out of pocket to collect it. You do have to have your original entry form, however, with the winning numbers on it in order to collect your prize. And you don't because if you did, you wouldn't have to ask this question here.

The South Carolina Bar's Legal Directory contains no such lawyer as ***** ***** Daniels licensed to practice law in the state.

Block these folks. Cease all contact with them. Send no money.

Report the fraud to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.IC3.gov and to the Federal Trade Commission at www. FTC.gov