Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
11313492

A storage unit my gf had got auctioned off after non payment

Customer Question

a storage unit my gf had got auctioned off after non payment but the reason it was not emptied or payed for was a death at the unit caused the unit to be sealed by the police. Then when hold was taken off the unit should have not been in default as it was sealed as evidence. but the storage place said it was in default as of may and would not accept partial payment for unit.
JA: What state are you in? And is a local attorney or other consumer protection advocate helping with this?
Customer: Minnesota and your the first ive talked to
JA: Have you contacted the manufacturer?
Customer: come on whats with the form questions?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 3 months ago.

I will try and help. Can you elaborate a bit more - was the unit (and others sealed by police and therefore increasable and as a result she stopped paying?

Tell me more and I'll try and help.

DCG

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My girlfriends sister hung herself in my gf's storage locker. They taped it off and my gf couldn't access her storage unit for several months die to a police do not enter order. When she wad finally able to get the police hold removed the storage place said the account was in default and required like 800 to bring it back to good standing. Why should my gf be responsible for paying for it when they didn't allow her access to it by no fault of hers. The police had it sealed as evidence.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
basically all the sentimental things of her sisters and all her belongings are to be auctioned off tomarrow is what I just found out. Is there a way to stop the auction in a day? She doesn't have the 800 they want and is basically homeless herself at the moment. I feel they are really taking advantage of her powerless status and she's about to lose everything she owns because of the police hold. The unit was not in default prior to the suicide.

I don't know if a way to stop the auction. This is certainly a sad situation. Does she have a copy of the rental agreement? Does it address this sort of situation (or the inability to access a locker in general)?

DCG

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Man i can do the job you just did.
Expert:  California Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

I will opt out so someone else can help you.

DCG