How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey, JD Your Own Question
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 27758
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Zoey, JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you sue if your account has been hacked? My credit card

Customer Question

Can you sue if your account has been hacked? My credit card login information was hacked and the person submitted an order on my account and then cancelled it. They are in a different state. I have an email with the persons name and address but I don't even know if that information is valid.
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.


I'm Zoey.

I'm reviewing your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

You could, although you don't have damages if he cancelled his order. What you might want to do, however, apart from canceling your card and getting a new one, would be to go to the police and make a report on the hacking and the identity theft. Tell them that you want your hacker prosecuted. You might have to contact the police in the person's state as well if your own police won't do that for you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Okay. But you can't sue the actual company right?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

You can sue a company in civil court. Typically, however, you can't prosecute one in criminal court. You'd need to go after the person actually responsible.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'd like for the person to have consequences so I'm thinking I should contact their police station. However, I don't have a suit here because there aren't any monetary damages right?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Correct. That's what i addressed in my first reply. You need to have sustained monetary damages or physical injury in order to sue him. But he has committed a crime, and you should report it.

I strive for 5-star service. If I have addressed all of your concerns, please take the time to rate my service to you by selecting 3, 4, or (hopefully) 5 stars on the rating scale, as that is the only way that JustAnswer gives us Experts credit for our work. You would still be able to post further follow ups on this question thread about this for no additional cost, even after I've been rated.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What happens if the person used a false name?
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

If neither the name nor the address used are false, the authorities aren't probably going to be able to find him. But if the name is ***** ***** the address real, the police would be able to arrest and charge him.

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 3 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.