How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3006
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The california toll roads have charged me $14k on two cars,

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: the california toll roads have charged me $14k on two cars, when in fact they had my debit card, how do i fight htis sorry, they had the card, but did not charge it
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the car?
Customer: calif
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: to the DMW, thus i can't register my car
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, i attempted to settle this when it was a total balance of $8000 and they said that it has maxed out at $14k, they will take half
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

Hello! I am a California licensed attorney admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. In this case, if they had your card on file, but failed to charge it and then are asking for additional money in such a high amount after the fact, then it is a breach of contract.

Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

Follow up questions are free, so please feel free to ask away. You can also click here in the future to request me individually. If you don’t have any additional questions, were you satisfied with my service today?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I will look at do i contact after i review this for follow up
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
how do i contact you AFTER i review your suggestion
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

That sounds great. You can always just come back to this URL and ask a follow-up question. Where you can always contact our customer care team and they will be able to direct you back to this conversation potentially.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
please, I will call after i review if i have do i contact you...i.e a phone #
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

That's a good question. If we were to exchange information than I would have to charge you for a premium service according to the website rules. It's $10 to exchange. Are you okay with that?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
not sure i understand you want $10 more for what
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hello, please
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

My apologies for the confusion. The website requires that if we are going to exchange private information that it is considered a premium service. If you would like to accept a premium service, then it is just 10 additional dollars and we can exchange private email or phone number information. Is this something that you would be interested in?

Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

Also, please understand that you have to give me a moment. I have to type up my responses and it takes a moment to type it up and respond back to you. So, please give me more than one or two minutes to respond.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
pass.. thanks
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 11 days ago.

Not a problem let me know if that of this question and hopefully another California attorney will be able to assist you.