P. Simmons, Lawyer
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
11181181

I purchased a boat new from a dealer. I immediately started

Customer Question

I purchased a boat new from a dealer. I immediately started having a problem with the stereo. I took it in to the dealers service dept 3 times and they said they could not find anything wrong. It is now out of warranty and I paid a stereo shop to dainnose the problem. They found that an amplifier had been wired wrong and caused it to quit working. I have contacted both the dealer and the boat manufacture and have shared with them pictures of what was incorrect. Neither one is willing to step up and cover my cost for the repairs. My question is: Do I file small claims against the dealer or the manufacture who installed the stereo originally. Thanks in advance for your help.
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the boat?
Customer: California-2014
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have not filed yet. I think I need to file against the dealer since that is who I purchased it from.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be it
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 10 days ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

You can file against the dealer. IF they sold you a product that is defective (and if it was broken when you received it, that would meet the definition of defective), you can sue to recover the cost to repair the problem

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.