Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

What is the fastest way that I can get assistance from an

Customer Question
attorney in redeeming a vehicle...
What is the fastest way that I can get assistance from an attorney in redeeming a vehicle that was unlawfully repossessed? The company that actually repossessed it and the financial institution have broken multiple consumer protection laws and have definitely not followed the legal guidelines involved in repossessing a vehicle. Any help appreciated. What type of lawyer should I contact if the vehicle is a lease vehicle that was purchased and registered in New York but was repossessed in California where I am temporarily living as a student? I am not having much luck with the lawyers I have called and can't get a straight answer. The reason it was repossessed has not been made available to me and the financial company has told me to get a lawyer if I want more details. I received no written notice that my car was repossessed and have had no confirmation from anyone of why it was taken or what I can do to get it back.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
7/14/2017
Consumer Protection Lawyer: attyadvisor, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer

Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. I will be the Attorney that will be assisting you.

Hey there. Thanks for the reply. Definitely appreciate and need the help with this situation.

The Attorneys on this site can only provide general information. Depending on where in NY this occurred you can obtain an Attorney referral. Have you contacted the consumer protection agencies for assistance?

If you are physically in California can you tell me the county this occurred in?

I did but they were not very helpful at all. They essentially referred me to lawyers who couldn't help with the case and didn't seem to have much knowledge of my specific case. Its my understanding I might need a civil attorney ? It was repossessed in San Diego County

Just to clarify you contacted the county Bar association? Did you also file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the FTC and the California Attorney General?

I was told I could file a complaint with them but I didn't know if it would do anything to expedite the return of my car before it is sold in the 10 day window they threatened me with. Would that help me to get the vehicle returned? I thought an attorney contacting the repossession company might be of more value but obviously not sure

You want to file the complaints as well. Yes a local Attorney would expedite the situation. I am trying to ascertain who provide you with the referrals?

I got a referral from the county bar association of San Diego and from the NACA website. Thank you for the info about filing complaints. I will do that. The tricky question is should it be with CA or NY? Probably CA since the vehicle was taken from my residence here right?

The agreement you signed with the lender should set out the law that governs the loan. Do you have a copy?

I believe I do. I have been looking for it but will have to look harder because I'm sure that would be helpful

Yes it would. That being said there is no reason why a local Attorney couldn't get involved if they do nothing more than make contact with the financial institution to determine jurisdiction and proved a referral to a colleague in NY if necessary.

Thank you very much the advice

Were you able to find a copy of the agreement?

This is a link for Attorneys in the County that provide FREE consultations http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/firm/consumer-protection/san-diego-county/california

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you. If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration. Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.
attyadvisor
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Lawyer