Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I went in and traded my car for one that is less of value.

Customer Question

I went in and traded my car for one that is less of value. My car appraised at 55k and the new car was priced at 49.5k. Today my wife comes home with a Montana title, bare in mind we live in New Mexico. Seems to me like the dealership skipped titling the car in New Mexico and now I have to pay the tax twice to register the new vehicle although I already had done so on the car I brought to trade. I am helpless as they are not responding to my requests. What can I do legally to recover the taxes I am about to pay?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 3 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

When registering the new car in New Mexico, you would be asked to provide Proof of Trade-In Vehicle . You need provide one of the following:

• A copy of the trade-in vehicle Certificate of Title
  • A copy of the trade-in vehicle Certificate of Registration

Any surplus tax you paid should be adjusted.

Best wishes,